Sunday 8 August 2010

Kit

I keep mentioning this mysterious DSLR that I have, so here's an introduction to it.

I got a Canon EOS 450d, having been recommended Canons by a couple of people, and the 450d by the man in the shop!  I've found it quite easy to get started with, having a first feared that the world of an SLR would be beyond me, although I am still working mostly in 2 or 3 modes.  I managed to get off shooting "on the green box" (ie, on fully automatic mode) quite quickly, but am mostly sticking to shutter priority at the moment.  As this is my first SLR, I'm not really good with all the photography techniques, and I am still struggling a bit with the apetures and f-stops, but I'm glad that at least for now I can understand shutter speed and also a bit of the exposure compensation.

I have two lenses; the kit lens, 18-55mm, and a 'second kit lens'which is 75-300mm (I got a twin lens bundle, so I will call it a second kit lens for now).  Next on the shopping list is something lovely and wide angled.  For the horses I have mostly been shooting with the 75-300mm; in fact I am tending to keep this on most of the time, and change back to the other lens when I find I'm too close to something.  I've been keeping UV filters on them all of the time (for protection, so much as anything).

So that's the basics.  I've had this lot for about 3 and a half weeks now, so not an awfully long time, I think.

I've also already been doing a bit of supplementary kit shopping.  I've bought a very cheap tripod, which seems to do the job nicely, and have also got myself a circular polarising filter, which brings me to the shot which I will add to this post.

I took this today at Liverpool on the Waterfront; this has been a dance festival running at the city's Pier Head since Friday (see http://www.liverpoolonthewaterfront.co.uk/6-8-august/).  The highlight of today for me was the Chinese Lion Dancing; the sun came out and I thought that the weather plus the colours in the lions would give me a good opportunity to play with the polarising filter....

Lion Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment